Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Tis the Season To Be Scary: Part I

While some mourn the end of summer there are those of us who jump into October with gleeful anticipation as stores fill their aisles with skulls, bats, and pumpkins. Whether your brand of Halloween scary leans towards Hocus Pocus or Rob Zombie it is amazing all the options for Halloween that go beyond orange and black. Even Pottery Barn is getting in on the holiday spirit and decking their windows in full sized skeletons and beautifully painted fake pumpkins. So much inspiration everywhere for my Halloween party yet the spark I got for this year wasn’t found in the hallowed aisles of Michael’s craft store but instead buried in a trunk at my grandparents’ house:
WHY, GRANDMA,WHY??
I quickly texted the photo to my mother to find out if these dolls were in the house intentionally or they had somehow snuck into my grandmother’s room at night. Apparently they were from Germany in the 60’s and their clothes were lost in a move. She called them "cute"; I quickly reburied them under old aprons and photo albums and locked the trunk. I showed the photo to fellow Geek Girls and they all had the same reaction as I did- WTF are those?? Combine this with the “Annabelle” movie trailers starting to pop up and my 2014 Halloween party décor theme was born…

Just a pile of heads...
So by mid-September I was scouring eBay for creepy doll heads and loading up my Pinterest board with disturbing images of all the nightmare-inducing decorations one can make with dolls. By the time the last of my freaky purchases arrived I had several boxes of heads spread around my living room.

Try waking up from a nap on a couch to this

They range from the old blinking eye ones with chipped paint and blank stares to cheap plastic faces from craft stores in the 70’s. You truly can find anything on eBay but I drew the line at a haunted doll named Michael that the seller is pretty sure is inhabited by the spirit of a 5 year old killed in a house fire. My luck has been bad enough lately, no need to spit into the face of fate.

WITHOUT a haunted doll
Kelly and I pilgrimaged to the dollar store and Walmart one night looking for the cheapest of cheap dolls. Basically nothing says that more than a $1 Barbie knockoff that you don’t even really need to pry the limbs off, they just kind of fall off on their own. My favorite find was a weird looking baby doll that managed to crossover quite well with a decorative skeleton so I started happily popping heads off in the car and the skele-babies were born:
A vast improvement
I dumped sharpies, buttons, and hot glue sticks out on my coffee table and Beth and I began to dig through the pile of cheap plastic doll heads. We separated out those that are more goofy than creepy and got our twisted creativity on. Our first session produced some good results: 

Beth getting her freak o

Living out their Halloween Destiny











As we prepare more over the month I'll keep updating on our progress and hopefully things will come together horrifyingly. Hopefully my landlord won't need to come over anytime soon because an apartment full of mutilated dolls may not get my lease renewed...

-Geek Girl Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment